Our Teddy Bears joined us for cooking class today to make a Teddy Bear Biscuit and learn all about the Food Groups. We sang songs about teddy bears. The first one was Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear Turn Around and the other was this song.
We read the Story Where’s My Teddy by Jez Alborough. We decided we were going to make something from the Bread group.
Make your own Teddy Bear Biscuits Recipe
1 tube (7-1/2 ounces) refrigerated buttermilk biscuits (10 biscuits)
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
9 miniature semisweet chocolate chips
1. For each bear, shape one biscuit into an oval for the body and place on a greased baking sheet.
2. Cut one biscuit into four pieces; shape into balls for arms and legs. Place next to body.
3. Cut one biscuit into two small pieces and one large piece; shape into head and ears and place above body.
4. Brush with egg.
5. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over bears.
6. Bake at 425° for 8-10 minutes (the one remaining biscuit can be baked with the bears) or until golden brown.
7. Place chocolate chips on head for eyes and nose while the biscuits are still warm.
Yield: 3 bears.
The goal of our lesson today was to follow steps in a recipe and to see how properties change when you bake an item. We also focused on learning food groups. By the end of cooking class we’re going to have a food item we can cook from each food group.
While our Teddy Bears were cooking we talked about Food Groups. We wrote on a list what our Teddy Bears could eat by listing all 5 food groups (Fruit, Vegetables, Grains, Dairy, Meat and Beans). Then we listed a few from each group on the chart. We looked through Magazines and recycled Grocery store flyers for pictures from each food group. Then we glued our pictures into our Teddy Bear Books using the words below.
They worked on fruits and vegetables this week. We will add the other food groups as we cook those items to allow enough time to find the photos and associate with the foods.
Here are some other books by Jez Alborough that we'll read this week too!